Meet adoptable deaf, 4 year old, bully mix Rikki who is looking for a loving forever home with someone who will cherish her, become her new best friend/advocate and always keep her safe.
From her rescue: This stunning girl is Rikki!!
She is a 4 yr bully mix. She is also deaf. Rikki has spent most of her yrs living in shelters. Why you ask? We don’t know! We ask ourselves that question on a daily basis. Is it because she has a hearing disability? Maybe?? We truly don’t know. Rikki is just like any other dog except for the way you have to communicate with her. It’s not hard, just a little different.
Rikki was in a shelter in Florida before coming to a Berkeley County WV kill shelter on 5/22/20. She was left in an outside kennel with nothing but a note. She sat at that shelter for 2 months before we brought her to AWS since she had absolutely no interest. None!! 🥺 She came to us 7/29/20 hoping she would be seen by fresh eyes and new surroundings. Well here we are July 2021 and Rikki is still here. Why you ask? Again, we truly don’t know.
Here are some interests and needs we have noted for Rikki …
– she loves humans, including kids but with that said, AWS would prefer Rikki to be in a home that has older kids due to her deafness. We wouldn’t want a small child to accidentally spook her and have her react in a negative manner.
– Rikki loves water!! How great would it be for her to have her own kiddie pool!?
– Our girl is leash trained and loves taking walks.
– Rikki has been trained with an e collar (vibrate only).
– She is dog selective and prefers males over females. No cats or small animals.
– This girl absolutely loves her toys and she gives the best kisses
– Rikki does know a few hand commands that was taught to her from one of our staff members.
– We would prefer a fence since she has been cooped up for so long, our girl deserves a safe place to run her zoomies, but with daily exercise we would consider a home without one.
Would your home be a happier safe haven with Rikki in it? We know there is a perfect home just waiting for her!!
Animal Welfare Society Of Jefferson County
23 Poor Farm Rd
Kearneysville, WV 25430