Because September 23, 2017 is International Deaf Dogs Rock Day and September 24th kicks of the 2017 Deaf Pet Awareness Week, I wanted to share with all of you just exactly why we think Deaf Dogs Rock. Living with my four deaf dogs Nitro, Bud, Bowie and our newest member Cornell, I can tell you first hand I have about a thousand reasons why I personally think my deaf dogs rock.
One of my top reasons I think they rock is because I love how much they love each other. Our Deaf Dogs Rock community call deaf dogs “velcro dogs” because they not only stick to their humans like a second shadow, but they also attach themselves to the other dogs in the family. I have four extra shadows that follow me everywhere I go. I can tell you without a doubt I have given up on all hopes of ever having any kind of privacy in my life.
A perfect example of how much my deaf dogs love each other is in the photo below called the “Three of Hearts”. I hope you enjoy our list of 10 Reasons Why Deaf Dogs Rock. ~ Christina, Nitro, Bud and Bowie – DDR
“The Three of Hearts”
In this photo Bud and Nitro’s love shapes a perfect heart around deaf puppy Bowie.
Below are the Top 10 Reasons Why Deaf Dogs Rock put together with the help of our Deaf Dogs Rock FB community
***** Not all of these may apply to your deaf dog so you can pick and choose the reason’s that apply to your dog! ****
Top 10 Reasons Why Deaf Dogs Rock
10. Deaf Dogs Rock because they are not afraid of thunderstorms or neighbors shooting their guns while doing target practice.
9. Deaf Dogs Rock because they excel in therapy dog work, emotional support dog work, and service dog assistance because they don’t have a fear or anxiety that usually comes with loud noises like hearing dogs do.
8. Deaf Dogs Rock because they don’t chase the vacuum cleaner but instead enjoy the vibration of that comes from the suction of the device.
Photo above: provided by Victoria Delgado and Elizabeth Morris Spahr
7. Deaf Dogs Rock because you can sneak into the kitchen for a late night snack, open a bag of potato chips and your deaf dog doesn’t wake up.
6. Deaf Dogs Rock because they can smell an intruder (and feel the vibration of a car coming from a distance) way before your hearing dogs can see an intruder.
5. Deaf Dogs Rock because you can do a big construction project in your home and they never hear the nail gun, hammer or saw!
4. Deaf Dogs Rock because you can take a deaf dog to big events like pet expos and they can’t hear all the other dogs barking.
3. Deaf Dogs Rock because you can play rock/country/hip hop/rap music or sing in your car, at home, or in the shower as loud as you want and your deaf dog can’t hear you.
2. Deaf Dogs Rock because they are the ultimate Velcro dog – no matter where you are located in your house you will always have a second shadow following you around from room to room.
1. The number one reason Deaf Dogs Rock is because “Deaf Dogs hear with their hearts.”
Bowie is my sunshine and he hears everything I say to him with his heart!
If your interested in adopting a deaf dog, please check out the adoptable deaf dogs section on our website by clicking here.